The Parks Trust has announced plans for a special public event to mark the 70-year reign of HM Queen Elizabeth II.
Taking place at The Milton Keynes Rose, Campbell Park on Thursday 2nd June, the self-financing charity that looks after more than 6,000 acres of parkland in Milton Keynes will be hosting an event that will pay tribute to the Queen’s milestone feat which no other British monarch has achieved.
The highlight of the event will be the ceremonial lighting of the Milton Keynes Beacon, also known as The Light Pyramid, by Vice Lord-Lieutenant Alexander Boswell and the MK Mayor will also be in attendance. The lighting will be one of over 1,500 similar events taking place at beacons across the UK and UK Overseas Territories.
As spokesperson for MK Council said, “We should like to thank The Parks Trust for creating such a fitting way to celebrate the unparalleled and selfless service of the Queen. The Beacon lighting will be a wonderful opportunity for our community to come together and witness a very special moment in history.”
Julie Dawes of The Parks Trust comments, “Lighting the Milton Keynes Beacon only happens on very special occasions and it’s a truly unmissable sight. The Parks Trust is honoured to play a part in national celebrations to recognise and reflect upon Her Majesty’s 70-year reign.”
- Open to the public from 8pm
- Suitable for all ages
- No pre-booking required
- Entertainment from 9pm including Milton Keynes Brass Band
- Speeches from Vice Lord-Lieutenant, Alexander Boswell, and the Milton Keynes Mayor
- Beacon lighting at 9.45pm followed by the National Anthem
- Refreshments on sale, including hot drinks and ice cream
- There will be no public parking available at the event site but ample parking around the John Lewis area of the city centre, with easy access to the event via the nearby footbridge
- There will be a partial closure of Campbell Park from 6pm – 11pm on 2nd June, with an alternative route available and marked
Full details are here: https://www.theparkstrust.com/events/jubilee-beacon-lighting