MK Dons promoted after winning promotion decider against Mansfield

MK Dons have been promoted to League One as an early goal by David Wheeler saw them beat Mansfield Town in a promotion six-pointer.

Wheeler’s goal inside the opening two minutes was the deciding goal of a tense afternoon in Milton Keynes. The QPR loanee headed in an early Dean Lewington corner.

Both sides threw everything at their opponents to try and get the result they needed, with many chances passed up on a frantic afternoon. But that early goal was all both sides were able to score, and as a result, MK Dons leapfrogged Mansfield Town to win and achieve promotion.

After being relegated last season, the result means the Dons will return to the third tier at the first time of asking, and achieve promotion after a frantic 46 matches in their first season under Paul Tisdale.

After the first 45 League Two matches, the Dons and Stags entered the final contest of the regular season level on points and split only by goal difference.

A draw would have been enough for Mansfield to squeak through and put MK Dons into the play-offs, with MK Dons needing nothing less than a win. The match was therefore set up for a frantic finale to the season – one of three such things remaining to be resolved in League Two, along with a 5-way scrap for the final play-off spot and a battle between Macclesfield and Notts County to avoid dropping out of the EFL altogether.

Needing to win, it was the home side who made a cracking start. They were able to win an early corner, before Dean Lewington’s well-weighted delivery found Wheeler, who headed home.

A tight first half largely saw MK Dons create the best first half chances. The best saw Kieran Agard feed Chuks Aneke following clever work out wide on the left flank, and his effort was cleared off the line by Mal Benning.

Mansfield had brief episodes where they burst forward in a frantic opening half, but it was mostly the Dons’ control of the match, although their attempts to get beyond the away backline were largely being frustrated.

The Dons also won a number of set-pieces and had some penalty appeals, but the best chance in the final period of the opening half fell when Aneke had an effort deflected off target with the final moment of the first 45.

Tyler Walker had a chance for Mansfield in the early moments of the second period, as the away side’s top scorer had a low angled shot saved by Nicholls.

MK Dons would also get close early in the second period, as a looping header from George Williams was kept out by Conrad Logan.

The away side began to look more on top in their attempts to find the equaliser and regain the promotion advantage.

But MK Dons would then find a better chance, as a last gasp deflection took Aneke’s low effort into the outer side-netting rather than between the posts.

Mansfield continued to look like the side likelier to get the game’s second as they threw bodies forward, with their best chance seeing Neal Bishop arrow one just past the post.

But just as the Dons spent a period of play on the defensive, they came so close to sealing the deal, as Aneke lead a fast breakaway and laid it off for Agard, who was well denied by Logan in the Mansfield goal.

Having rode that out, Mansfield continued to try and find an equaliser, and came very close as Russell Martin had to head a dangerous header off the line, before visiting defender Krystian Pearce narrowly failed to make contact with a free-kick.

Mansfield still enjoyed the majority of possession as they continued to try and find a way past a deep-defending Dons, racking up a large number of corners as they went.

On the break, the Dons nearly bagged number two, as Logan saved to keep out Aneke’s lob. After that, Mansfield tried to break, as sub Danny Rose was denied on a turn before the player brought on by Mansfield as a first half sub had a header saved.

But Mansfield struggled to keep the momentum going as the match entered six minutes added time, as MK Dons won some free-kicks and corners.

Mansfield very nearly got an opener after Williams’ couldn’t fully clear a cross but a shot from Bishop cannoned off his offside team-mate.

The game dragged on and on as it reached a 7th extra minute, but MK Dons had done enough to hold on and win, cueing a celebratory pitch invasion as MK Dons got the three points and booked their spot in League One for next season.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s