Advice from mums, ranging from empowering life lessons, to fashion and beauty tips, still comes top according to a recent poll commissioned by centre:mk.
The study of 2000 adults under 45 revealed respondents believe children are more likely to get advice from their mum (41 per cent), compared to bloggers and influencers (28 per cent).
More than six out of 10 respondents (66 per cent) declared ongoing gratitude for their mother’s advice throughout their lives.
In the poll of 2000 British adults, it was clear that much of this advice is passed down from generations of mums, with 65 per cent of adults adding that they have passed their own mother’s advice onto their children.
The survey revealed that the mother/daughter advisory role is reciprocal, with two in five (21 per cent) of female respondents stating that fashion and beauty advice between mother and daughter is a two way stream.
Finance, career, relationships, friendship, health and cooking were amongst the other key areas respondents said they went to their mum for advice for.
Mums confirmed that children’s advice is frequently offered up for computer skills, as well as broader life lessons advice prompting them “to treat themselves” and “try new things”.
The research was commissioned by centre:mk to launch its ‘Life Lessons From Mum’ campaign, (www.centremk.com), including a competition which champions and casts a spotlight on some of the best advice from the mother figure in our lives. The winner will win a luxury Mother’s Day hamper.
Kim Priest, Head of Marketing at centre:mk, which is a British Fashion Council Patron, said: “It’s fantastic to see that mums are holding strong as our No.1 influencer.
“Ahead of Mother’s Day, we are delighted to celebrate life lessons from mums – encompassing self-belief, life skills, and fashion and beauty tips. Handed down from generations of mothers, these life lessons still appear as enduring and relevant as ever.”
Mums’ ‘Life Lessons’ most referenced by the 2000 respondents included:
- Always try your best (36 per cent)
- Treat others as you would like to be treated (31 per cent)
- If you don’t ask, you don’t get (26 per cent)
- Don’t worry about what others think (25 per cent)
- There’s no such thing as ‘can’t’ (23 per cent)
- Never give up (22 per cent)
- Believe in yourself (22 per cent)
- Do what makes you happy (21 per cent)
- It’s what’s inside that counts (20 per cent)
Mums’ fashion and beauty tips most referenced included:
- Drink lots of water (36 per cent)
- Beauty comes from within (36 per cent)
- Wear what you feel comfortable in (31 per cent)
- Always wear sunscreen (25 per cent)
- Moisturise daily (23 per cent)
- Invest in a good bra (22 per cent)
- Always take your make-up off before bed (20 per cent)
- Don’t compare your style to others (20 per cent)
- Embrace your shape (19 per cent)
Whilst most of mums’ advice is valued, female respondents said that ‘let the man pay on the first date’ is today considered the most old fashioned (43 per cent).
Kim Priest continues: “Our ‘Life Lessons From Mum’ campaign and competition is a celebration of all mums. With over 190 retailers and thousands of brands, we look forward to seeing mums with their children enjoying some quality time together at centre:mk over the special Mother’s Day weekend.
“We are confident mums’ life lessons will continue to be passed down for years to come.”